The Liaison Office of the Council of Europe in Brussels has the mandate of conducting the responsibilities of the Council of Europe in Belgium within the proximity of other International and European Institutions.
The Trainee is welcomed as a true member of the Office's team.
Under the supervision of the Head of Office, they work closely with the Deputy Head of Office, the Political Advisor, and with other colleagues.
Around two to three additional interns are also working in the Delegation.
The tasks of the Trainee include inter alia:
- Participating in and reporting about conferences and events organised by various European institutions (e.g. the European Parliament, the Council, and the Commission) as well as other non-governmental and international organisations, especially the UN Offices and agencies and renowned think-tanks in Brussels;
- Following the debates in the Parliamentary Committees of Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs, Human Rights and Gender Equality;
- Conducting research and preparing files on priority matters of COEEU relations, such as those mentioned above;
- Covering the main political developments within the EU, including insofar as they relate to matters also of interest to the COE, such as Human Rights and Legal Policies under the EU’s neighbourhood
policies or enlargement policies, EU’s engagement on judicial and rule of law developments in specific countries;
- Contributing to the smooth functioning of the office by helping to prepare events hosted in the Office or other COE events organised in Brussels, including various types of tasks of preliminary research and documentation, as well as administrative and logistical tasks.
Criminal Law - General
Human Rights Law - Advanced
Public International Law - Advanced
English - Good
French - Good
The Trainee shall be responsible for their insurance against sickness and accidents for the period of their Traineeship. The Trainee should have their own civil liability insurance.
Graduate Bachelors who have completed their fourth year of studies may also apply for this Traineeship.
Candidates who have already undertaken any kind of work experience within the Council of Europe are not eligible to apply for this position.
The Traineeship may begin on a remote basis if the circumstances would require it.